Virginian

Up men to your posts! Don't forget today that you are from old Virginia. -- George Pickett

Monday, September 05, 2005

"Moral Hazard" and Health Insurance

This is a recent New Yorker article on American Health insurance. Take a look at it-- its short! Your eyes will not glaze over! As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I am obsessed by safety because I spend my professional life litigating about "accidents." I am also a front-line witness to the health care crisis; a very high percentage of the working poor and lower middle class use emergency rooms, usually paid for by medicaid, for their primary medical treatment. I've also seen that medical bills seem to be the number one cause of personal bankruptcy. Meanwhile, health policy, and health-insurance policy, is based on the assumption that universal health care would incentivize overtreatment and misuse of the system. Is this true? Could the system be any more misused than it is right now? Read the article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home